Social Care Lobby Day – Tuesday 19th July – IT’S TIME FOR GOVERNMENT TO ACT ON SOCIAL CARE
SOCIAL CARE LOBBY DAY
Tuesday 19th July, 2022
Houses of Parliament, Westminster, London, SW1A 0AA
We want hundreds of social care workers, providers, people supported and their families to gather in Westminster, and across the country to lobby MPs and Peers on Tuesday 19th July.
IT’S TIME FOR GOVERNMENT TO ACT ON SOCIAL CARE
12:00 Meet in Parliament Square for a photo opportunity. See map here. Nearest Tube: Westminster
14:00 – 17:00 We move to Portcullis House and in the Attlee Suite. Let your MP know you will be there. See map here.
15:00 – 16:00 There will be a series of speeches from MPs and other key members of the coalition who are supporting the Social Care Lobby Day. Details to be announced.
Please come dressed in an Autism at Kingwood polo shirt or t-shirt.
Could you write to your MP to request a meeting with them on the day. If you don’t know who your MP is – please click here and insert your postcode. If your MP agrees to meet you on the 19th please let us know.
If you are meeting your MP there a number of things you can ask them to do. We want them to demonstrate their support our campaign to #GetSocialCareDone
- Ask them to sign the pledge card
- Write to the Prime Minister and Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
- Sign our letter to the PM – here
- Ask them to table a PQ and/or raise your concerns in Parliament
If you have written to your MP but have not had a reply, head to the Central Lobby (enter through Cromwell Gate) and put in a meeting request if you have not had no reply. PLEASE NOTE: There is NO guarantee that your MP will be there or even in Parliament on the 19th. The more contact you have with his Parliamentary and Constituency office the better. The main thing is to let them know you are coming and to request their support and sign up.
WHY ARE WE LOBBYING PARLIAMENT?
We need Government to get social care DONE. The SOCIAL CARE LOBBY DAY is about hearing true stories about the problems caused by the lack of capacity in the social care system. The fact that, even before the pandemic and the cost-of-living crisis hit, there were circa 110,000 vacancies in social care and now the gap is even deeper is of concern to us all. Some estimate that there are now upwards of 150,000 vacancies in social care. It’s time to call on the Government to take immediate action and time for a fair deal for social care workers.
All of us will rely on the social care workforce at some point in our lives it is only right and fair that we care for those who care.
The SOCIAL CARE LOBBY DAY will give a massive shout out for all those who work in social care – the forgotten frontline. We are calling on the Government to tackle the recruitment and retention emergency in social care provision. We want MPs and Peers to hear your concerns, true stories and to get the message that:
WHAT DO WE WANT?
- Increased social carers’ pay to at least the Real Living Wage. Lifting all paid carers to the level of the Real Living Wage (£9.90/£11.05 in London) and fully funding the 2023 costs of new care assessments is necessary NOW and also to avert a winter crisis
- Parity of esteem for the social care sector with the NHS: if social care is to improve and increase health and wellbeing outcomes, the social care service must no longer be treated as the ‘forgotten frontline’
- A comprehensive social care workforce strategy designed to improve skills, training and professionalism, and improve pay and conditions for social care workers
- A substantial and immediate funding boost for social care and, in the longer term, a social care funding solution that is both equitable and sustainable
TELL US YOUR STORY
We want to gather hundreds of true “stories” from those who work in OR draw on social care, about the issues they are facing. The stories should represent your personal story/experience/perspective on what’s happening in social care and/or stories from your organisation about the pressures placed on the social care workforce and those who draw on social care. Please speak out and tell MPs and Peers, what it’s truly like on the forgotten frontline.
Please send the FSCC short (circa 2minute or 300 words) written, video or audio stories to us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet your stories using the hashtags #GetSocialCareDone and #PayFairforCare. These will be uploaded on to the FSCC website and also used at the Social Care Lobby Day on the 19th to highlight the real issues and crisis in Social Care.
PLEDGE YOUR SUPPORT
We want to get as many people as possible – including MPs, Peers and “celebrities” to show their support. A simple action but we want to see 1000s of sign-ups to show how many people really care.
- Pledge your support here
- Send the Pledge Card to your MP and ask them to sign
- Circulate and ask your members, colleagues, friends and family to show their support for social care
SIGN OUR LETTER TO THE PRIME MINISTER – Tell the Prime Minister to #GetSocialCareDone
- Please add your name to our letter to the Prime Minister here.
- Ask your MP to sign-up and/or to send a letter to the Prime Minister and the Secretary of State for Health to support the FSCC’s pledges and key asks.
- Circulate the link to the letter to others and encourage them to sign